Pin It button on image hover
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Update on the "no-shampoo" method


Okay I really hate that it's called the "no-poo" method because I get really weird looks when trying to describe it to people, so on here it's going to be "no-shampoo" method. I have been doing this for 3 weeks now and have actually been really impressed. Some changes that I have noticed in my hair are, it feels lighter/more body, more of my natural curl has come back which is awesome, it is easier to style, and it just feels healthier all around.

Now when I was researching this, others talked about the "transition period" in where there hair was just super oily and awful because their hair was still trying to produce oil from when they were using shampoo. As of right now, I haven't really had a bad "transition period" with my hair. But maybe it's because I've done a couple of things to help with that.

Before I started this thing I really would only wash my hair every 4-5 days which I think helped. If you want to ease your way into this, start by cutting out the times you wash your hair. I also used a bristle brush to help distribute the oil from the top of my head down the hair shaft because that's where the oil tends to stay is near the scalp of your head. Always make sure to clean your brush every so often. Also if you don't have dry shampoo, go get some! That stuff works wonders. 

If you have naturally oily hair to begin with, increase the amount of baking soda by 1/4. Also make sure when you are placing the apple cider vinegar solution, to avoid placing it on the roots. Now if your hair is more on the dry side, you might want to run a tiny, (and I mean teensy-tiny) amount of coconut oil through your hair after it is washed and dry. You can also do a deep condition mask with a NON oil conditioner. I've heard some people using aloe-vera gel for that one. Well this post is getting too long. There's my update, if you have any questions feel free to comment or shoot me an e-mail. 
post signature

2 comments:

Melissa said...

do you use conditioner after, or just the mixture by itself?

Heather and Jake said...

I don't use conditioner. The apple cider vinegar is supposed to take place of the conditioner. So because of that my hair has been a little dry, but the coconut oil helps a lot. And you could probably put some conditioner on the ends of your hair too!