Pin It button on image hover
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Baby food

via
We are talking about baby food over here today!

I don't think we have ever bought a jar or baby food. Since miss e has been old enough to eat solids I have been having fun finding yummy recipes, making my own baby food and have enjoyed watching her experience new tastes.  For those who think they would never have time to make baby food, or it's too hard, think again. It's so SO easy. Plus I love buying produce that's in season and finding yummy recipes. Another plus is that I know exactly what goes into her food. Since most baby foods at the grocery store go through an extreme heat process so they can last on the shelf a very long time, they loose a lot of nutrients during that process.

No loss of nutrients here! 

We use the Baby Bullet here at our house but honestly if you have a blender you should be good. The thing that I love about the Baby Bullet though is the storing containers it comes with. Makes it so easy to make a huge batch of baby food and store it in the freezer for later. Here is one of the recipes that we have tried lately. Evelyn can't get enough and inhales it every time!

Butternut squash, apple puree - (this made a pretty big batch)
  • half butternut squash, washed, peeled and cubed
  • several apples, peeled and cubed
  • Place on cookie sheet, I covered mine with tin foil for easy cleanup
  • bake at 425 for 30-40 min.
  • Remove and place into blender. I used my regular blender for this one since it was going to be such a big batch. I would also recommend blending little batches at a time.
  • Add water, or breast milk since it may get a little thick. I also added a tiny bit of pumpkin spice to the mix. Pour puree in a glass dish and let cool and then you have delicious baby food ready for your little one.
I can't remember where I found this recipe, I'm thinking I was watching a cooking show on tv and that is where I saw it. However there are tons of sites that offer lots of baby food recipes. My favorite has been here. Talk about recipes that you would even eat! Not only does she have recipes for baby food, she also has recipes for toddlers, school lunches, and even family recipes! I have also found good information here. So for those who have thought about it, try it! If any of you have other questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail. 

No comments: