Pin It button on image hover
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Privilege

On Sunday I had the privilege to go listen to President Packer at a fireside. He actually was there at our institute! There were around 2,000 people there in our chapel, gym and lounge area. My roommate and I were lucky with our row K tickets and sat down on the very last comfy bench in the chapel. President Packer walked in with his wife, (the cutest little lady ever) and sat down. Here are my thoughts and some notes I took through the fireside. On my paper they are all over the place so hopefully I will be able to make sense of them.

"Oh dear...people are already passing around tissue boxes and we still have 10 minutes before it starts! Knowing me....pretty sure I will need some. And by some I mean a lot. I have my mother to thank for that attribute!"

The opening song: The Spirit of God
"Wow!! What an amazing song to open with. You could just feel the power and the spirit that came with singing that song; especially with how many people are here. Voices rang everywhere."

President Packer first talked about how he met his wife here at Weber State and how he served in the war as a pilot. He shared with us a chant that he and some of his college friends made up in institute. Root de toot, root de toot, we're the boys of the institute. We don't smoke, and we don't chew, we don't date the girls that do. Some say we don't have fun...we don't.
Everyone was laughing so hard when he finished like that!

Here is some advice and other subjects President Packer gave us/talked about:
  • You can do whatever you choose. But you cannot choose your consequences.
  • Only repentance can heal what he, (Lucifer) hurts. And repentance CAN heal what he hurts.
  • Marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a women.
  • Family Proclamation to the World
  • The atonement of Christ can clean anything. We must find it and act upon it for our self.
  • Don't be critical of the Lords Church
  • Caution: Beware of the word tolerance. It does not stand alone. We are not required to tolerate anything that does not bring happiness.
  • In all our struggles, pay your tithing first.
  • Economy troubles: We will be alright if we follow the Lords way.
  • As Latter day Saints, we need not live in fear. Fear is the opposite of faith. We need not wonder through life lost and uncertain. Look to the plan of happiness.

A blessing from President Packer:

  • That we may know good from evil.
  • That we may find ourselves in a happy married life; to be as happy as he and his wife are.
  • Know that our Heavenly Father is always with us.
  • That we may come to know the Savior through prayer and study

Closing song: Come thou Fount (My favorite song) provided by the institute choir

Again I am left speechless. They did such a good job. I didn't cry through the whole entire fireside until this song! It gave me chills the whole entire time they sang. Every note was hit how it should be, and if someone messed up, it didn't matter because the spirit was so strong.

My thoughts on music: I love how music can solve almost anything. The emotion it brings. The spirit that comes with it, and how you can bare your testimony through it, different than any other way. I am humbled, sitting here, so grateful for the talent that I have been blessed with. Music is such a huge part of my life and I hope that I can share my love for music with my kids when I am older; and that I may also do the Lords work by sharing my testimony with others through music.

No comments: